Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Goodbye, Marshall!

     At Passage, Mr. Breen said something that really stuck with me. I'm going to paraphrase a bit, but he told us this old Irish story about a son and a father getting in a fight and the son hits the dad in the head with a shovel, and kills him, and then goes off to start a new life, but later, the dad shows back up because he isn't dead, and forgives him, and happily ever after. Mr. Breen said that as we're getting closer to graduation, we're the sons with shovels in our hands and Marshall is the father with a dent in it's head. We focus solely on the negative; we start finding flaws in everything that Marshall has to offer, but it's always going to be here for us. We find flaws so it's easier to cut ties. We find out who our real friends are because most of them we just put up with because we have to see them five days a week.
     
Thirty30 Photography / Foter / Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)
I really liked what Mr. Breen had to say because it's so true. I've been so ready to leave for so long, but now that it's wrapping up, I don't actually want to go just yet. I'm so sad that the last time I'll be up on stage, it'll be for graduation; no play, it's just me, the real me up there, becoming a new person. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment