Monday, March 31, 2014

Future Plans


Foter / CC BY-SA
     I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but when I grow up, I want to be a Marine Biologist. My intended major at Drake is Environmental Science. What I really want to do is focus on coral and maybe do something with coral conservation. Lately, I've been looking at this website because the pictures are just stunning. Here's a picture from foter.com. I'm actually super obsessed with coral, but hardly anyone really knows that. 
     When I was at the doctor's office (which has been a lot recently), I saw a magazine: Dive Training. I was attracted to it right away because of its oceanic qualities. There's this part of me that is terrified to try scuba diving, but then part of me loves to try new things, so I'd be all for it. 
The article that I read inside was talking about using different kelp and algae to create medicines, vitamins, and cancer treatments. It was really cool. 
     When I was done reading it, there was an elderly man walking towards me. Fun fact about me: I don't like old people unless they are related to me or I know them. I was really nervous and I don't like talking to strangers anyways, but he asked me if I could help him put on his coat because he has carpal tunnel, so I helped him because I can't say no to things. I really just thought that would be the end of it, but he sat down near me and talked to me. Ick, I thought to myself...  
     He thought I was a college student, which I laughed at because I am 5'1" and have the face of a 14 year old. We talked for a while, and I told him about my future plans. It was so nice to be able to tell somebody about it and ACTUALLY, LEGITIMATELY care. No one seems to care about a lot of things that I say, but this stranger was generally interested in my future. He had to leave, so I held the door for him and he said, "You are so kind and thoughtful. I wish you the best of luck in your adventures under the sea." That was super sweet because old people say the nicest things when you get to know them; they're super wise. I've always said that I've wanted to die young, but maybe getting old isn't so bad. 





No comments:

Post a Comment