Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Acting Out



     Dr. N wants us to write an independent blog post, so that we feel like our blogs are more of our own. I think this is a great idea because then these blogs won't seem like they are solely for English homework! 
     I'll be talking about what I wrote my college essay about: theater. 
     I love acting, as many people know, and I'm currently in a musical called Guys and Dolls.
Here's a picture of the poster
The songs always get stuck in my head at the most random times; they're all so catchy! It's basically about gambling in New York in the 50's. I play a tough mobster from Chicago; his name is Big Jule. Yes, you read that right; I'm playing a man, again! This is my second time being a man in a Marshall show. We have seven rehearsals left till opening night. I can't wait until it all comes together. We're nowhere near ready for an audience. We'll get there hopefully by the end of this week. November 14th, at 7pm is our first show!

     Marshall Drama has been going through some changes, but I'm hoping that my last year as an actor for Marshall will be a good one, as all of the others have been! 
     Also, I haven't done a show at the Duluth Playhouse for about 4 years, but I got the awesome opportunity to be in Hairspray! I'm one of the Dynamites; her name is Judine. I received an email from the director with my script attached to it,
Here's a screenshot of my script
and I can't wait to start. I love the important message of this show. It's about equality and it takes place in the 60's.  It goes up in March, and rehearsals don't start till January! I have to my lines memorized by the first practice! I'm apprehensive because these kids that do Playhouse stuff are from all over the area and they're all super talented! I'm looking forward to learning a lot. 

8 comments:

  1. First of all, congrats on getting the part in Hair Spray! I think it is so cool that you found something you like so much and are able to write about it! I think that colleges will like that a lot and also find your essays very entertaining! Great post, Kori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kori, Congrats on Hair Spray! I enjoyed reading this because you wrote about something that you love. Great job!
    - Jake Fugere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Jule, I can't wait to see you acting in upcoming Guys and Dolls! and Congratulations about being accepted on Hairspray! You will do great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You SHINE on stage, Kori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kori, that's so exciting that you get to be part of awesome shows. As I watch everyone from the pit orchestra, I learned that your character is my favorite! You pull that role so well, and I am sure you will too with your role in Hairspray! Break a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Kori on the Hairspray! Make sure you tell me the dates so I can come cheer you on! I going to see Guys and Doll this weekend too. I hope you get into theater when you go to college! I am your biggest fan when it come to your theater career and along with cheering for you when you are cheerleading! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kori,
    Your post about acting was really interesting to me! One regret I have is not taking part in any plays during high school. I look forward to seeing the school play soon and wish you luck in your play at the playhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kori, congratulations on Hairspray! It sounds like a big deal. I have seen you act before, and you are really talented. Congrats, again.
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete